Saturday, July 4, 2015


Happy 4th of July, folks ! I don't know about you, but I freakin' love fireworks. The best 4th of July fireworks I ever saw was in San Diego - 1998 ! The scope and magnitude of the show blew this little Southern boy's mind.

So, I wanted to address the fact that I've pretty much been MIA the last couple of years, other than posting links to the odd article or two. I guess you could say that I developed a huge writer's block or maybe it was just...putt...putt...putt...a running out of steam.

In 2013, my mom found out she had stage 4 breast cancer and for almost three years we've been riding a roller coaster of doctors, chemo, surgery, every kind of full body cancer scans known to medical science...and now daily radiation treatments. My mom has done remarkably well, but she still has a long way to go before they'll say that the cancer is in remission. The doctors have already told us that they can't “cure” it but they can slow it down. By the end of the day, I'm so mentally exhausted I can't even think about dating and a social life. I've pretty much been joined at the hip to my mom since the cancer struck.

Originally, the whole purpose of my blog was to talk about, well...the adventures of dating for gay people. Since I'm no longer actively dating/trying to date, I feel foolish writing about a dating scene that I don't participate in. Maybe it's the worry and stress from my mom's illness or perhaps it's just me changing and developing into a different person, I just don't know... 

In the past, the thought of being single the rest of my life had terrified me. And now that I'm pushing 50, it looks good to me – seems peaceful, preferable even. I'm actually quite okay with it.


So, I may change the name of this blog to something that reflects the new direction my life is moving in. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What to say? I'm sorry about your mother's diagnosis, but at least it sounds like she's done all she can and her doctors' are focused on keeping her pain-free (which to me is always the top priority). I'm glad she has a good son like you to help her on that journey.

I found your blog thru a blog roll on Nice to See StevieB. Based on how good this post was, I think I'll try to read back through your old posts. Happy 4th! ~~~ NB